Sunday, January 21, 2007

01.22.07 – I Guess I Had Better Watch My Mouth After All


I saw this article link on Fark.com and which was no doubt meant to be ironic and funny. Take a gander:

“An elderly man who wrote in a letter to the editor about Saddam Hussein's execution that "they hanged the wrong man" got a visit from Secret Service agents concerned he was threatening President Bush.
The letter by Dan Tilli, 81, was published in Monday's edition of
The Express-Times of Easton, Pa. It ended with the line, ‘I still believe they hanged the wrong man’.”

I wrote this piece as a short column for a website a few weeks ago and the editor told me that, while he had no problem with it himself, he just didn’t want to take the risk of having federal goons knocking on his door about it. And so he declined to post it. “Farfetched and chicken”, I thought at the time, but whatever. It’s his site and he can do as he thinks best. But now comes this. I guess he had a point. So WTF do they do this sort of checking up on mere words expressing opinions, which the US government claims is our right after all? To establish FUD in our minds and fear in hearts, that’s why. And because it seems to work too, eh?

Sorry dude, I guess you had it right, and I was wrong. This wouldn’t be the first time, either. My apology is offered.

Technorati Tags:, , ,

No comments: